Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Erin U.


After London, I went home to work, but had a hard time finding a job for two months. So I made bread and folded lots of Origami. I went back to BYU for Fall 2004, and then in April 2005 I graduated from BYU with a BA in Visual Arts and a Minor in Art History. That summer I went to Vermont to work at a summer camp for girls on Lake Fairlee, called Camp Lochearn. (It slightly resembled The Parent Trap.) It was a lot of fun, but probably not something I will not do again. I lived in a cabin with a co-counselor, she was from England, and 6 girls ages 10-11. I was part of the Outdoor Adventure Program, so three days a week I took campers on hikes, canoeing trips and twice to a waterfall, to paint water colors. (I did dump a camper and myself in the lake by accident the last week of camp. But I now know how a canoe over canoe rescue works.) On the days I wasn't hiking I taught quilting and basket weaving. Camp Lochearn is 45 miles from Sharon, VT, the birthplace of Joseph Smith, which I was able visit during the year which marked the 200th Anniversary of his birth. I thought that was pretty cool.I spent most of my time off in Hannover, NH, where Dartmouth College is located. I made quite a few phone calls from Dartmouth Green waiting for the van to take me back to camp. I also consumed lots of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream. There was a flavor called Chocolate Therapy. Which was very therapeutic.

After camp, I went back to my hometown of Cheyenne, Wyoming. I started looking for a professional job, while working at Little America Hotel as a desk clerk. Finally in April I was interview & hired by the Wyoming Society of Certified Public Accountants. I am the Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Coordinator. I also do the newsletter and make brochures to promote our Educational Fund. I am pretty creative, and CPAs really are not, so just about anything that passes my standards of quality flies. When I was in London, I didn't imagine myself back in Cheyenne. But it's actually been a good thing. My Dad was diagnosed with MS this past May. So I’ve been helping my family, mostly by being a chauffer. I’m getting really good at transferring my Dad’s wheelchair in and out of the trunk of my car in a skirt and heels, which I consider something of an accomplishment. I never thought I’d be helping an ageing parent in my 20s, but I’m glad I’ve been able to be of some help.

Eventually I would like to get an MBA with an emphasis in Art Management or Nonprofit. But I need more work experience first. I am currently housing sitting, with a roommate from my singles branch, for a couple who are on a mission in New Zealand. I loved our London experience and am going back sometime, I just don’t know when yet. I don’t miss the alarm clock chorus, waking me up every morning, but every once and a while, I do crave a Sandwich from Pret and the National Gallery. It’s been fun reading everyone’s update!

Erin

No comments: